This is a linkpost for https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqq--zwCCN3mU9ECQSufrDn7zzTeCGg4k
This post consists of the Sequences Highlights compiled to a zoomer-readable format, i.e., video. If you'd prefer to watch these videos on YouTube proper rather than on this post, use this YouTube playlist.
These videos may or may not suit your mind well; as far as I can tell, there's substantial individual variance with respect to how much mental friction they take to parse. I'd guess that you're more likely to extract value from these videos if:
- You find audiobooks/podcasts tolerable
- You were born after 1997
- You have a low executive function budget due to ADHD, depression, or just being Extremely Online™
Thinking Better on Purpose
The Lens That Sees Its Flaws
What Do We Mean By "Rationality"?
Humans are not automatically strategic
Use the Try Harder, Luke
Your Strength as a Rationalist
The Meditation on Curiosity
The Importance of Saying "Oops"
The Martial Art of Rationality
Twelve Virtues of Rationality
Pitfalls of Human Cognition
The Bottom Line
You Can Face Reality
Is That Your True Rejection?
Avoiding Your Belief's Real Weak Points
Belief as Attire
The Fallacy of Gray
Positive Bias: Look Into the Dark
Knowing About Biases Can Hurt People
Politics is the Mind-Killer
The Laws Governing Belief
Making Beliefs Pay Rent (in Anticipated Experiences)
What is Evidence?
Scientific Evidence, Legal Evidence, Rational Evidence
How Much Evidence Does It Take?
Absence of Evidence Is Evidence of Absence
Conservation of Expected Evidence
Argument Screens Off Authority
An Intuitive Explanation of Bayes's Theorem
The Second Law of Thermodynamics, and Engines of Cognition
Toolbox-thinking and Law-thinking
Local Validity as a Key to Sanity and Civilization
Science Isn't Enough
When Science Can't Help
Faster Than Science
Science Doesn't Trust Your Rationality
No Safe Defense, Not Even Science
Connecting Words to Reality
Taboo Your Words
Dissolving the Question
Diseased thinking: dissolving questions about disease
Hug the Query
Say Not "Complexity"
Mind Projection Fallacy
How An Algorithm Feels From Inside
Expecting Short Inferential Distances
Illusion of Transparency: Why No One Understands You
Why We Fight
Something to Protect
The Gift We Give To Tomorrow
Tsuyoku Naritai! (I Want To Become Stronger)
A Sense That More Is Possible
- I do expect many (most?) people to get a superior understanding of the Sequences Highlights by reading them directly, instead of watching these videos. The perfect should not be the enemy of the good, though, as I also expect these videos to have much higher user-retention rates than the raw Highlights.
- If you've already read the content, these videos could act as a low-effort means to refresh the relevant thought-patterns, making them more mentally available.
- Kudos to trevor for suggesting both the background video and the idea of converting the Highlights.
This is exactly the kind of strange, experimental, large-action-space kind of idea that I've only so far seen in effective altruist / rationalist circles. I love it.
Man, the Minecraft-with-loopy-Inceptiony-warping+nice-shaders background is really cool, and actually makes me want to listen more.